– Mukesh Ambani (born on April 19, 1957, in Yemen) is the Chairman, Managing Director and the largest Shareholder of Reliance Industries Limited – India's Largest Private Sector Company; he is also the Chairman of a Reliance Retail Limited; a Director of Reliance Europe Limited, and Pratham India Education Initiative.
– Mukesh Ambani and Anil Ambani are sons of Late Dhirubhai Ambani, the founder of Reliance Industries; but after his father's death the company was split between the two brothers. His younger brother heads Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group.
– He completed his schooling from St. Mary's Church Xavier's High School in Mumbai; his Chemical Engineering from University of Mumbai and Masters in Business Administration from Stanford University but dropped out after first year and joined Reliance in 1981.
– He is married to Nita Ambani and they have three children: – Akash, Isha and Anant.
– He founded the world's largest grassroots Petroleum Refinery at Jamnagar, Gujarat, India; the refinery has a capacity of 6, 60,000 barrels per day, about 33 million tons per year.
– He initiated Reliance's backward integration from Textiles into Polyester fibers and then into Petroleum refining, oil and gas exploration and production; he was the founder of Reliance Infocomm Limited which is now known as Reliance Communication Limited.
– According to Forbes, as of May 2008, his total net worth is valued at US $ 43 Billion; he is the richest man in Asia and fifth in the world; his total annual compensation as of 2008 was 6,000,000INR. He is associated to 167 board members in 7 different organizations across 3 different industries.
– He also owns the Indian Premium League team "Mumbai Indian"; Dhirubhai Ambani International School, Mumbai; and is currently building the most expensive house in the world (which is currently valued at $ 2 billion).
– Some of his honor and awards which are mention on their company website are mentioned below:
o Received the US-India Business Council (USIBC) 'Global Vision' 2007 Award for Leadership in 2007.
o He is the only Indian CEO to be a Council Member of WBCSD (World Business Council for Sustainable Development).
o Conferred 'ET Business Leader of the Year' Award by The Economic Times (India) in the year 2006.
o Awarded the Degree Honoris Causa, Honorary Doctorate by the Maharaja Sayajirao University in 2007.
o Received the India Business Leadership Award by CNBC-TV18 in 2007.
o Received the first NDTV-Profit 'Global Indian Leader Award' from Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Manmohan Singh in New Delhi in 2006.
o Had the distinction and honor of being the cochair at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland.
o Ranked 42nd among the 'World's Most Respected Business Leaders' and second among the four Indian CEOs featured in a survey conducted by Pricewaterhouse Coopers and published in Financial Times, London, in November, 2004.
o Conferred the World Communication Award for the 'Most Influential Person' in Telecommunications by Total Telecom, in October, 2004.
o Conferred the 'Asia Society Leadership Award' by the Asia Society, Washington DC, USA, in May, 2004.
– He is a member of the Prime Minister's Council on Trade and Industry, Government of India and the Board of Governors of the National Council of Applied Economic Research, New Delhi.
– He is also a member of the Indo-US CEOs Forum, the International Advisory Board of Citigroup, International Advisory Board of the National Board of Kuwait and McKinsey Advisory Council.
– He is the Chairman, Board of Governors of the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and a member of the Advisory Council of the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai.
– He is a member of the Advisory Council for the Graduate School of Business of the Stanford University.
– His vision in life is, "I think that our fundamental belief is that for us growth is a way of life and we have to grow at all times"; 'Always invest in businesses of the future and in talent' is his success mantra; he believes that one of my biggest obsessions today is that senior people must give bright 25-year-olds the opportunity to contribute meaningfully.